Severe Driving In St LouisFeb 27th, 2013
Most St Louis motorists know that their owner's manuals have schedules for vehicle maintenance. What they may not know is that there are actually two service schedules: the regular schedule and the severe service schedule. The distance and time intervals are lower on the severe service schedule.
Now when you hear “severe service”, you may think it doesn't apply to you because you don't feel your driving conditions are severe or extreme – it's just normal everyday driving around St Louis. At JC Car Care and Tire - South, we discuss the conditions that manufacturers classify as severe so that you can make the judgment on your own driving.
- Most trips are less than four miles (six kilometers)
- Most trips are less than 10 miles (16 kilometers) and outside temperatures are below freezing in St Louis
- You drive in very hot Missouri weather
- Driving at low speed most of the time (under 55 mph/90kph)
- Stop and go driving
- Operating your vehicle in dusty, polluted or muddy conditions
- You tow a trailer, regularly carry heavy loads or carry a car-top carrier on your vehicle
Most St Louis drivers operate under severe driving conditions at least some of the time. How do you know which schedule to follow for your vehicle?
Carefully think about your driving conditions and decide if you should do your preventive maintenance closer to the severe service recommendation or the regular recommendation. Of course, your JC Car Care and Tire - South advisor can help you with your decision.